Soccer Chaplains United Team's Playoff Update
Less than a month ago, a hefty majority of Soccer Chaplains United chaplains found that their teams were headed for playoffs in their perspective leagues. Hopes were high, but several teams stumbled in spite of achieving this pivotal milestone for a long season of soccer.
Of the teams that remain in the playoff hunt, Major League Soccer (MLS), Ben Dudley and Troy Ready’s Portland Timbers won against Minnesota United FC, 3-1. They will face my own Colorado Rapids this Thursday, on Thanksgiving Day in an MLS first — a national, televised match on Thanksgiving. Billy Cerveny’s Nashville SC play a home game this Tuesday night at 4:00 pm Eastern against Orlando City FC in a game televised on FS1 and Fox Deportes.
Below are the results of the other Soccer Chaplains United teams:
- National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) Portland Thorns lost in a semifinal against Chicago Red Stars, 2-0.
- United Soccer League – Championship (USL-C)
- El Paso Locomotive quarterfinal loss to Oakland Roots, 1-0.
- Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC quarterfinal loss to Orange County Blues, 1-0.
- Rio Grande Valley Toros FC upset #1 Phoenix Rising in penalty kicks 4-3 in their quarterfinal match, but then lost in the semifinals to San Antonio, 3-1.
- Memphis 901 FC quarterfinal loss to Charlotte Independence, 3-1.
- In Colorado High School Soccer, Valor Christian lost in the second round to Denver East, 1-0.
Please take a moment to pray for our chaplains as they serve the athletes, coaches, and staff in the what remains of the season and into the offseason. Pray for rest and rejuvenation for the ministry to continuing serving these teams.
Soccer Chaplains United is non-profit, 501(c)3 and depends upon the financial support of our partners to carry out our work of developing chaplaincy across all levels of soccer. Please consider making a contribution today to help us continue growing our work. You can text soccerchaplains to (833) 245-5091 to link through your mobile device or simply click the PushPay Logo on the bottom of the page below.